Learnership Programme 2018 : Transnet Learnerships For CAT Programme 2018
Transnet Learnerships For CAT Programme 2018, Looking for an exciting opportunity to contribute to future economic growth of South Africa? Transnet is a world-class employer with a highly motivated workforce exceeding 55 000 permanent employees. If you believe you have the right combination of passion, proficiency and tenacity to join our team, then perhaps Transnet is the place for you!
Transnet Learnerships For Accountants (CAT Programme)
As a leading rail and logistics entity, Transnet is expanding and transforming South Africa’s rail, port and pipeline infrastructure which will result in a significant increase in freight volumes, especially in commodities such as iron ore, coal and manganese.
This will also lead to a significant modal shift from road to rail.
- We value their dedication and commitment and embrace the importance of ensuring the right skills, capabilities and improved capacity is sustainable in the long-term by helping our employees excel in achieving their desired potential.
- Our workplace reflects our dynamic and challenging environment and offers outstanding opportunities aiming at attracting results driven individuals who are suitably qualified and who have the necessary career prospects.
- With a vision to become Africa’s world champion in transport and logistics solutions, Transnet SOC Limited has its roots established in resourcefulness and transformation. We proudly operate and control South Africa’s major transport infrastructure.
- Transnet is committed towards working with our customers to suit their every need.
- We aim to create a working environment that attracts and retains the most talented people, enabling them to reach their full potential.
- Employment equity also remains a priority on our transformation agenda.
- Employing the best skilled people in the industry is vital to the success and sustainability of our company.
- It is through our staff that we realise our aspirations and deliver on our strategic goals and objectives. Our core values include the following;
We DELIVER on our promises
We treat each other with DIGNITY and RESPECT
We have a SAFETY MINDSET
We recognise and REWARD GOOD WORK
We are EMPOWERED to perform in our jobs
We have GOOD COMMUNICATION
We are BUSINESS FOCUSSED.
Transnet’s CA Training (CAT) Programme – Background:
- Training of accountants is critical both for Transnet and the country as a whole.
- South Africa has a shortage of accountants especially black accountants.
- Transnet has accepted the responsibility to develop the scarce skills in light of the greater objectives of the country.
- The CA Training (CAT) Programme in Transnet is a strategic intervention to train prospective Chartered Accountants to meet the skills requirements of South Africa in the Accountancy field. Transnet has been an accredited training office with the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) from 1997.
About the CAT Programme
- The CAT Programme at Transnet is a three year learnership programme for candidates who have a Certificate in the Theory of Accounting (CTA) / B Compt Hons or equivalent.
- The stringent requirements of SAICA demand that trainees receive extensive training in Financial Management, Management Decision-Making, Financial Accounting, Internal Audit & Corporate Governance, Auditing & Assurance and Taxation.
- This also includes the professional skills like interpersonal & communication skills, intellectual skills, personal skills, and organizational & management skills.
- In Transnet, the trainees will be rotated to the head office and several of its business units, e.g. Transnet National Ports Authority, Transnet Pipelines, Transnet Freight Rail, etc.
- The rotation will be tailored to meet the needs of the trainee and the respective business unit, with the trainee spending at least one-third of the practical training in one business.
- The training programme matches the depth of the SAICA syllabus requirements with a wide business exposure.
Our SAICA Elective Skills:
Transnet has elected the Financial Management and Management Decision-Making as its Elective Skills based on Transnet’s business and industry.
Our Selection Criteria:
The minimum entry requirement is the Certificate in Theory of Accounting (CTA) and each applicant must also demonstrate:
- Consistent progress in their accountancy studies,
- Strong verbal communication skills, and
- Analytical ability.
- Transnet will offer its trainees industry level support to ensure their success in the programme.
The training programme will provide for:
- Study leave for the board exams;
- Supplementary courses;
- General business management training;
- Exam technique courses, revision courses for the board exams;
Trainees are assigned mentors from the CA’s within the Transnet Group. These mentors have volunteered their time, passion and dedication to the success of the programme and the trainee accountants. They provide leadership, empowerment, guidance and advice to trainee accountants on their career path.
Supervisors are the line managers who ensure that training takes place. They are responsible for the day to day training, workstation, timesheet and leave authorization, and attendance of assessment meetings. They also provide career guidance to trainees.
How To Apply:
If you are a go-getter, willing to be deployed to the Transnet Divisions within South Africa and work with dynamic managers, please e-mail your updated CV and certified copies of:
- Identity Document
- Grade 12 certificate
- University transcript
- Degree and
- proof of final year or one year CTA programme registration, to: email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 31 August of each year.
For more information, visit the Transnet website.
Continue on the next page